THE BELOW TOURNAMENT RULES APPLY TO ALL STS TOURNAMENTS ONLINE WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE TFA 4V4 CHALLENGE.
TOURNAMENT CONTACT / APPLICATION MAILING ADDRESS
STS/ (Tournament Name)
6000 Cala Lily Street
Santee, CA 92071
Using existing & new laws of the game
REGISTRATION AND TEAM ELIGIBILITY
Team Check-In will take place on the first day of the tournament 45-60 minutes prior to your first scheduled game at the field marshal tent on site.
FOREIGN TEAMS – For teams coming from a CONCACAF nation:
- Players must present passports at registration or, if from a nation that the United States does not require passport, proof of entry into the United States that is required by the United States.
- Teams are required to have and present player picture identification.
- Team must have a completed form from its Provincial or National Association approving the team’s participation in the tournament.
PLAYER AGE AND ELIGIBILITY (Age Groups Based on 2023-24 Season Calendar Year Age Groups)
Division: Born within the year specified below:
2017-2014 play 7v7
2013, 2012 play 9v9
2011 & older play 11v11
Game Duration by Age Group
|AGE GROUPS||Group Play & Semi||&||Finals|
|2005-2011||2 x 30 minute||&||2 x 35|
|2012-2014||2 x 25 minute||&||2 x 30|
|2015-2017||2 x 20 minute||&||2 x 25|
If preliminary or consolation games are tied, they are recorded as a tie game.
If semifinals and finals games end in a tie, the game will go directly to penalty kicks.
Home & Away Teams
- Home team will be the first listed team on the schedule/game card and the online posted schedule.
- Home team will select which sideline and which goal to defend on the field they prefer.
- Uniform color conflicts. Both teams must bring two sets of uniforms to each game, however if the referee determines there is a conflict, the home team will be required to change.
- Tournament director will designate which side of the field will be for the teams and which side will be for the spectators. No persons are permitted behind the goals.
WHAT TO BRING
Teams must be affiliated with the USYSA and players must have their current 2023-2024 US Club, Cal South or AYSO player passes. If event is prior to July 1st, 2023, we will accept 2022-2023.
Please make sure you have signed up your team for the the correct age group. ALL STS Tournaments will be using and going off of the upcoming 2023-2024 season age groups for all tournaments.
PLAYER CREDENTIALS AND UNIFORMS
- Player picture identification cards are to be present and available at all matches.
- Identification cards are required.
- The shirt number of each player must be the same as the player’s shirt number on the daily match report or roster. If the numbers are not the same, the referee is not to allow the player to take part in the match until the numbers are the same.
LAWS OF THE GAME
All matches must be played in accordance with FIFA Laws of the Game, except as specifically modified as follows in the tournament rules:
A player may be substituted at a stoppage of play with the permission of the referee.
NOTE: Tournament regulations may limit when substitutions may be made by specifying specific stoppages in play when substitutions can be made. Example: At goal kicks and corner kicks, on your team’s throw-ins, when a player is cautioned. Otherwise, substitutions may be made at any stoppage only with the permission of the referee.
Individual Player Rule
A player MAY play on two different teams within a tournament the same weekend, with the below criteria:
- Player must not play down in level or age group of its existing registered teams level or age.
- Player may NOT play down in age.
- Player may play down in level BUT must be playing up in age.
- Player may NOT play on two different teams within the same age group within the tournament.
- Shin guards: Required for all players (no exceptions).
- Casts: No hard casts are permitted. Soft casts are permitted with the permission of the referee.
NOTE: You may require approval by a Tournament doctor as well, but the ultimate authority is the referee.
TOURNAMENT AND MATCH SCHEDULES:
First round/group play is a round robin.
If a total team count within a age group/level is:
4 teams total – 1st & 2nd place finishers play in the Finals.
6 teams total – 1st & 2nd place in each group will play in Semifinals, winners in Semifinals play in Final – 3rd place in each group play in a consolation game.
8 teams total -1st place finishers in each group play in the Finals.
12 teams total – 1st place in Group will play in Semifinals, along with one wild card team.
Winners in Semifinal games will play in the Finals.
- The minimum number of matches a team will play total is 3 games.
- Minimum number of matches being played on each day is 1 game. Maximum 3 games.
Match Delays, Suspensions, Cancellations, Forfeits
- All winners by Forfeit or Suspensions will receive a 1-0 result. Losing team 0-1.
- All match cancellations due to weather will result in a 0-0 draw.
- Due to weather, or Referee canceling game, or for for any other reason, if more than half of the game has been played, the game score at that time will stand as the final result.
- ALL decisions are made final by the director of the tournament.
Weather or Game Forfeit Refund Policy
- Teams that have played 2 games out of 3 games guaranteed receive 15% of entry fee paid.
- Teams that have played 1 games out of 3 games guaranteed receive 40% of entry fee paid.
- Teams that have played 0 games out of 3 games guaranteed receive 70% of entry fee paid.
Team Canceling their Application
If your team cancels or withdraws BEFORE your teams has been accepted into the event, your team will receive a full refund minus an administrative fee in the amount of $25 will apply for all full or partial refunds.
Once your team has been accepted and paid the entry fee, refunds will not be given. Teams can petition for a refund via email to
The Tournament Directors will consider if adequate notice was given to find another team and determine if any administrative expenses have been incurred. An administrative fee will apply for all full or partial refunds in the amount of $25. Credit card payments incur an automated credit card processing fee that is handled by a third party. This fee will be nonrefundable.
Note: Third Party Credit Card Fees WILL NOT BE CREDITED BACK and will be deducted from any refund approved.
APPLICATIONS/ TEAM ACCEPTANCE
Applications without payment with them to be considered. Applying online without a payment does NOT automatically accept your team / complete your team's application.
NOTE: ANY TEAM THAT SIGNS UP FOR THE WRONG AGE GROUP WILL NOT BE GUARANTEED A SPOT IN THE TOURNAMENT UNLESS THERE IS ROOM IN THE APPROPRIATE AGE GROUP. IF THERE IS NO ROOM IN THE PROPER AGE GROUP THE TEAM WILL NOT BE REFUNDED, UNLESS THE TOURNAMENT FILLS THEIR SPOT IN THE TOURNAMENT.
- Teams traveling in from outside of the tournaments county will be automatically accepted once their application and payment has been received PRIOR to the entry deadline, UNLESS they receive a notification prior to the deadline which specifies your team has not been accepted.
- Teams traveling in from outside Southern California will need travel papers, unless they are with US Club Soccer.
- All traveling teams will need to stay at one of the approved STS Hotels in order to be accepted. This tournament is a “Stay and Play” event.
Team Acceptance - Local Teams
- Local teams will receive a rejection notice no later than 3 weeks prior to the event date.
- If your team does NOT receive a rejection notification, your team will be accepted by default into the tournament.
- Awards will be given to the first and second place team members.
- Champions will receive team trophy and medals for each participant and coach.
- Finalist will receive medals for each participant and coach.
- All coaches have total responsibility for the conduct of their players, bench, friends and spectators at all time.
- Coaching from the sidelines (giving direction to one’s own team) is permitted provided:
- No mechanical devices are used.
- The tone of voice is instructive and not derogatory.
- Each coach or substitute remains within 10 yards of either side of the halfway line.
- No coach, substitute or spectator makes derogatory remarks or gestures to the referees, other coaches, players, substitutes or spectators.
- No coach, substitute or spectator uses profanity or incites, in any manner, disruptive behavior.
- Any parental behavior on the sideline such as profanity, coaching, fighting or other behavior that is not sportsmanlike is unacceptable.
- Teams can be removed from the tournament per the Tournament Director without compensation if the director feels that the team sideline is out of control.
FILING A COMPLAINT/OPINION TO THE TOURNAMENT
- The tournament director will ONLY communicate with the team's Head Coach in regard to any concerns or issues pertaining to the tournament. We will NOT RESPOND to any Manager or Parent phone calls or e-mails.
- All referee complaints should be made to
TOURNAMENT POINT SYSTEM:
3 Points for each Win
1 Point for each Tie
0 Points for each Loss
Scores after each game will need to be reported by the team managers to field marshal. Referees will not be responsible for this.
In the event of a tie, the winner will be determined as follows:
- Total Points
- Head to Head
- Goals Against
- Goal Differential
- Goals Scored
- Most Wins
If a tie still exists after steps 1 through 7, FIFA Kicks from the Mark will be taken 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start of the Semifinal or Final Game, UNLESS the Tournament director decides differently.
If a 3-way tie exists within a bracket after steps 1-5, a three-way coin flip will be conducted.
Step #1. Director will assign each of the three teams to a coin.
Step #2. All three coins will be flipped in order until we receive (2 heads / 1 tail) or (2 tails /1 head). The odd team out will go to finals and the other 2 teams will take penalty kicks to determine who goes to the semifinal or finals.
After 3-way tie drops down to a 2-way tie, the two remaining teams tied start over at the first tiebreaker
- A team not arriving to its scheduled game no later than 15 minutes: Director may extend this time.
- The minimum number of players required to start play: 7 players (11v11), 6 players (9v9), 5 players (7v7).
- A team that forfeits may proceed in the tournament to the play rounds.
- The result for a forfeited match is scored 1-0. Forfeit one and forfeit all rule is NOT in effect.
PROTESTS / DISPUTES
- Protests/Disputes: Can ONLY be made by a HEAD COACH, NO parent/s or Manager protests/disputes.
- Disputes: Player eligibility issues or disputes are made directly to the tournament director over any tournament rules. The initial contact will be made to field marshal if it’s a game-day dispute.
- All referee disputes/protests will be made to
- The procedures and entity involved in a protest or dispute must provide quick due process.
- Decisions by referees may not be appealed and decisions by the director deciding a protest or dispute are final and may not be appealed.
CONDUCT AND DISCIPLINE:
- A code of conduct will be enforced for spectators and coaches. Action will be taken for any misconduct, by either the director or referee at the time of misconduct. Director and/or referee will have the right to cancel / forfeit the game in which will result in a 1-0 result or the result at the time of game cancellation.
- Animals, smoking, verbal abuse of anyone, & alcoholic are NOT allowed in and around the field.
- Ejections: A player or coach sent off during a match is not allowed to play or coach in the next match, unless otherwise approved by the director. The tournament director may take additional disciplinary action against a team or individual for serious offenses, including suspension from the remainder of the tournament and non-eligibility for future tournaments of that tournament committee. Passes for the player or coach are to be held by the tournament director until the suspensions are served. Coaches may not be located on the spectators side or coach or communicate with the team in any manner; players may sit with the team but may not be in uniform.
- No accumulation of Yellow Cards will be applied to rule.
Home team will be supplying the game balls.
Ages 2011 and older, max players 22
Ages 2012 and younger, max players 18
HEADING THE BALL
Heading the ball is ONLY allowed for age groups 2012 and older.